Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Devoted Creations: Born This Way, tanning lotion

Just because I own an airbrush only salon, does not mean that I bash UV tanners. I think everything is fine in moderation. It's okay to get a base tan in a tanning bed so that you do not burn when you're out in the sun. And I'll admit, I enjoy my 15 minute relaxing alone time in the tanning bed.


With that being said, I received several lotion samples in the mail from my distributor last week. (lotions designed to use in the tanning bed.) I decided I'd give them a try. The first was called Born this Way made by Devoted Creations.


 DC is a well known lotion line and is sold in every high end tanning salon. I'll admit that I picked that one to try first because of it's cute packaging, and the fact that it said "advanced level tanners" on the back. It has a lot of bronzers in it which is another reason I was intrigued. Bronzers in tanning lotion usually, but not always, mean DHA. Which is also the ingredient that gives you that awesome color in an airbrush tan. Basically it's a tanning lotion with a little bit of self tanner in it. The smell when I opened it was pleasant. It kind of reminded me of Warm Vanilla Sugar from Bath and Body Works. I squeezed a little out into my palm and froze. I'm used to lotions having a brownish tint when they include bronzers, but this stuff looked like they melted a bowl of Hershey Kisses and poured it into a bottle. That's how brown it was! I was a little worried that if I rubbed that stuff on my skin that I would look like I rolled around in the mud. But I gave it a chance anyway, making sure that I rubbed it in evenly and washed the palms of my hands afterward. It went on smoothly and was easy to spread evenly. It didn't feel sticky at all! So far so good right?


All bronzing lotions have what we call in the industry ATO,  meaning After Tan Odor. It's the way the bronzer (DHA), lotion, and fragrance react with the heat from the bulbs and your skin. Most lotions have an ingredient in them that minimizes ATO and all your skin is left with is the slight smell of the fragrance in the lotion. I honestly didn't notice a bad ATO......until later.


Andrew and I went shopping after I got off work. We were sitting on a bench and he said "something stinks, I hope it's not me!" I just shrugged it off, there were a lot of people in that store! But then I thought, maybe it's me? I extended out my arm to him and asked if it was my lotion. He said "ewww, yes! That's what I smell." I still didn't think it was that bad. Until several hours later when we went to the movies and I was giving myself a headache. I felt sorry for the person sitting next to me. I smelled like dirty musky feet. I couldn't wait to shower! And the orange color I was developing wasn't making matters better! 


Just like perfume, lotions react different from person to person because of chemistry. So I'm sure there are people that will love this lotion. But for me, I prefer not to smell like dirty socks. This is one that I will not be trying again. 


In Devoted Creation's defense, I tried another one of their products today with great results. It smelled great, gave no ATO, and I achieved noticeable color from it in just one use! I'll tell you guys about that one tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment