Thursday, April 12, 2012

Perfect Curls with Remington Styling Wand

One of the common questions I get asked (besides about tanning) is what I use to curl my hair. I'm not a hair stylist, but I've found the perfect tool to get those pretty off the beach waves, or tighter spiral curls for a night out. No training needed! It's super easy and only takes me about 15 minutes to do. I'm not a morning person at all, so anything that helps me look cute without having to get up hours before work is my best friend!

It's called a styling wand, and it's made by Remington. It can be found at Walmart or Target for around $25. It's basically a curling iron that's bigger on the bottom end and smaller on the top, without a clamp. The ceramic, pearl infused barrel reaches up to 410F. I like this particular one because you can control the temperature. A lot of other tools I've tried just keep getting hotter and hotter the longer they are on. I have very thin and fine hair, so I don't need that much heat. I set the styling wand to 328 and that's plenty for my hair. If yours is thicker, you'll need to set it higher.

For beachy waves like Kim Kardashian
Separate your hair into 4 sections and secure with clips, starting at the top and working your way down. Leave the bottom layer out of the clip. Take sections of hair about 2 inches wide and wrap it around the wand (wrapping away from your face). You'll need to start wrapping your hair around the bigger end of the wand, and spiral it down to the smaller in. Hold it for about 4 seconds and release it. Continue to do that for all of the other sections until all hair is curled. Run your fingers through the waves to seperate them for that "just off the beach" look!

For tighter, spiral waves like Taylor Swift:
Separate your hair into sections just like you would for the beachy waves. For spiral curls, you'll need to curl smaller sections at a time. I do about one inch wide pieces at a time. I hold it a few seconds longer than for waves, about 6 seconds. Instead of unwrapping it, just loosen it around the barrel and pull the wand out. The curls will be really tight at first. Don't panic and think you're going to look like Shirley Temple. They will relax after a couple of minutes. Continue to curl the rest of your hair by sections, until you get to the top section. I only curl the very ends of my top layer, because it's quite a bit shorter than the long layers of my hair. I also don't like my hair to be curled all the way up to the roots. I have long bangs in the front. With those, I take a flat iron and straighten them away from my face, curling them at the ends toward the back of my head. 

Here's the finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment